AGRO2CIRCULAR Project: Territorial Circular systemic solution for the upcycling of residues from the agrifood sector.
Agro2Circular (A2C) project is focused on the implementation of the first territorial systemic solution for the upcycling of most relevant residues in the agrifood sector (fruits& vegetables and plastic multilayers) into high added value products, powered by a digital tool and constructed upon a systemic approach with high replicable/scalable
potential. Through this solution, A2C will face important industrial, economic & social challenges in the agrifood sector:
1) The fruits & vegetables (F&V) are the group of major contribution to food waste along the food supply chain rising up to > 40% of waste, and are as excellent source of natural bioactives. However, these F&V wastes are not exploited. A2C will valorise them by green routes to obtain these bioactives for the production of nutraceuticals, functional
foods, and cosmetics.
3) Multilayer plastic films are widely used as industrial packaging for the protection of food and agriculture for crops due to their unique barrier properties. However, there is a lack of sorting and recycling technologies for an economic and environmentally sustainable valorisation of these multilayer structures. A2C will develop the first recycling value chain for post-industrial multilayer films based on a synergistic approach combining innovative sorting, physical delamination, enzymatic depolymerisation, decontamination & mechanical recycling.
3) There is a lack of digitalisation in the agrifood sector. A2C will implement a Data Integration System (DIS) as a digital tool for ensuring traceability and as Predictive Decision Tool in the agrifood sector.
A2C will be a demonstrated in the Regi?n de Murcia (Spain) and replicable systemic solution throughout Europe for the territorial deployment of the circular economy.
DMC Research will contribute due to its expertise in the implementation of natural product extraction methods and in developing high added value additives for food, nutraceuticals, feed and agriculture as well as characterizing the extracts and their properties (antioxidant, antimicrobial, etc.) with the most advanced technologies . A2C project is fully aligned with the R&D priority lines of DMC. In fact, the activities included in the project will allow us to continue improving our capabilities with the aim to offer the best support and include the waste reuse as a desired objective in our extraction processes. New circular business. New products based on natural bioactives from agrifood wastes. Increasing their comtetitiveness.
DMC will lead WP4 and will participate in the following tasks:
- Collaborating in the definition of the new food, nutraceutics formulations,
- Collaborating in the implementation of methodology for new formulations with extracts from agri-food wastes.
- Developing the hybrid route of green solvents, enzymatic hydrolisis and microwave assisted extraction, as well as in the purification and stabilisation of the
extracts and the evaluation of the extractions
- Formulating new food and nutraceuticals formulations at small scale using the extracts
- Implementing a pilot plant at our facilities of microwave assisted extraction route.
- Validating the bioactive extracts in a real environment by development of new food & nutraceuticals formulations
- Coordinating the activities of WP4, as well as participating in the communication & dissemination activities.
This project has received funding from the European programme for Research and Innovation H2020 (Green Deal call) under grant agreement No. 101036838.